M.2 External SSD in PlayStation 5: Reasons, Steps, and Instructions
PlayStation 5 users can add external SSD in PlayStation 5. It should have M.2 support with a cooling system on top of it, and it will also expand its PlayStation 5 gaming console storage. This article will tell you the step-by-step process to install the external SSD in PlayStation 5 successfully.
Ensure that you are using an M.2 SSD with a Heatsink cooling structure.
M.2 SSD in PlayStation 5 — Reasons
M.2 SSD devices are high-speed SSDs to increase the storage capacity of PS5 gaming consoles. You can use this storage to Download, launch, and copy PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 games.
The External SSD in PlayStation 5 allows you to increase the storage space. However, you can only use some specific M.2 external SSD in PlayStation 5. The M.2 external SSD requirements are:
- Interface: PCI M.2 NVMe SSD.
- Storage: 250 GB to 4 TB
- Sizes: 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110
- Size after including Heatsink: 30, 40, 60, 80, 110 mm (in length)
- Read Speed: 5500 MB/s or faster.
- Socket type: Socket 3.
M.2 SSD in PlayStation 5 — Required tools
After purchasing the M.2 external SSD, you will need the following things:
- Flat surface.
- Flash Light.
M.2 SSD in PlayStation 5 — Points to Remember
It would be beneficial if you kept these things in mind:
- Update the PS5 to the latest system software.
- After that, touch a metal object to remove any static electricity from the body.
- Place the gaming console on a flat surface.
M.2 SSD in PlayStation 5- Add M.2 External Storage
Follow the step-by-step process to avoid any issue or error during the M.2 external SSD installation in PlayStation 5.
- Place the PS5 on a flat surface.
- The PlayStation logo should be facing downward.
- After that, gently lift the cover with your right hand.
- Slide the PlayStation 5 cover off.
- You will get the Expansion cover below the cooling fans.
- After that, unscrew the expansion cover and lift it.
- You will see the green area with five screw holes.
- After that, remove the spacer from the hole and place it according to the External SSD size.
- Align the External SSD with the notch on the terminal.
- Insert your External SSD in PlayStation 5.
- Then, tilt the External SSD down and fasten it with the screw.
- After that, close the Expansion cover and fasten the screw.
- Reattach the PlayStation 5 cover.
- Then, reconnect all the cables and turn on the PS5.
- Finally, follow on-screen instructions and format the new M.2 External SSD.
M.2 SSD in PlayStation 5- Install Games
You can also download games from the PlayStation Store to the M.2 external storage by following these steps:
- Turn on the PS5, and navigate to the Home screen.
- After that, select the Settings option.
- Navigate to the Storage option.
- Then, select the Installation location and set up the M.2 external SSD.
- You can also move the Games and Applications on the external SSD.
PlayStation 5 gaming consoles do not support M.2 SATA SSDs. You can also purchase a new external SSD for the PS5 to increase the storage. After that, you can also install or copy games and applications. It will improve the overall experience and performance of the PS5 gaming console. I hope you found this article helpful.This entry was posted in Gaming and tagged PlayStation, PlayStation 5. Bookmark the permalink.
Ella johnson has extensive expertise in Microsoft Office and has spent a good part of her life working in the technical industry. Ella has written several technical blogs, manuals, and reviews for several renowned websites.